Quick links to ESC and DESIGN West classesYou know what they say about the eye being quicker... here are quick links to the conference tracks and classes at DESIGN West 2013, the event that now includes the Embedded Systems Conference. Scan through these and click the link to read the descriptions and time. Links go directly to the track or the class in the Schedule Builder on DESIGN West's site.
Click here to register for DESIGN WEST and ESC. The conference and expo will be held April 22 through 25, 2013 at McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, Calif.
Some tracks and classes are free to expo attendees and will be held on the expo floor.
DESIGN West 2013 conference tracks
- Black Hat Summit
- Connected Devices, free to expo attendees. Part of "From Napkin Sketch to Shenzhen" program.
- Connectivity and Networking
- Debug and Test
- Embedded Android
- Hardware: Design, I/O, and Interfacing
- Hello World, free to expo attendees. Part of "From Napkin Sketch to Shenzhen" program.
- Internet of Things
- Lessons and Lessons Learned, free to expo attendees. Part of "From Napkin Sketch to Shenzhen" program.
- Linux Kernel and Operating Systems
- Low-Power Design
- Processors and Programmable Devices
- Real-Time Operating Systems
- Safety, Security and Hacking Embedded Systems
- Software Architecture/Design
- Software Development
- Systems Engineering
- Tech Fundamentals, free to expo attendees.
DESIGN West 2013 classes by track
Black Hat Summit
- "Low Level Chip Reverse Engineering"
- "Power Analysis Attacks for Cheapskates"
- "Vehicle Networks"
- "JTAGulator: Assisted Discovery of On-Chip Debug Interfaces"
- "The M2M Risk Assessment Guide, a Cyber Fast Track Project"
- "Hacking Phones with Near Field Communication"
- "Embedded Device Firmware Vulnerability Hunting Using FRAK"
- "Future of Mobile: A Lifestyle of Mobility"
- "M2M Garbage or Dr. Who's TARDIS trash can"
- "Internet of things--Commercial Solution Development and Case Study"
- "Connected Hacks: Internet-Connected Ping Pong Ball"
Connectivity and Networking
- "Essentials of USB Device Development"
- "vandervecken: An OpenFlow-controlled WAN router and MPLS LSR for research"
- "Cool Beanies! A Mesh Networked Cranial Cooling System"
- "Antenna & RF System Design Considerations for LTE Devices"
Debug and Test
- "Practical and Fun Lessons on Testing during Software Development"
- "Troubleshooting Real World Embedded Software"
- "Troubleshooting Real-Time Software Issues Using a Logic Analyzer"
- "Test Driven Embedded Development"
- "Holy $#*! Our Design Is Complex--How Am I Going to Debug It?"
- "Tips and Tricks for Debugging"
- "Magic, Superstition and Side Effects in Embedded Software"
- "Up and Running Quickly with Embedded Vision Using OpenCV on Android"
- "Dramatically Shorten your Entire Android Product Development Lifecycle"
- "Creating an Embedded Device--Linux or Android?"
- "Embedded Android? Not so fast!"
- "The Opportunity for Advanced USB Interface Technology in Android Platforms"
Hardware: Design, I/O, and Interfacing
- "Principles and Practices of Hardware/Firmware Interface Design"
- "Implementing Vision Capabilities in Embedded Systems"
- "Fully Reconfigurable Motion Control for Embedded Machine Design"
- "Leveraging Existing Sensor Drivers in Embedded Linux"
- "Challenges and Strategies for Synchronizing IO In Embedded Systems"
- "Activity-metric Driven Personal Health Assistive Technology"
- "Designing is Easy, Production is a Nightmare"
- "Start Tinkering"
- "Dive! Dive! Dive! OpenROV for Ocean Exploration with Off-the-Shelf Hardware and Open Designs"
- "Robot Kit Hacking--A Better Hello World"
- "Quickstart to Qt GUIs on Embedded Systems"
- "MCU Hacks: Russian Nixie Tube Clock Design & Mustache Camera"
Internet of Things
- "Embedded IPv6--What's the beef?"
- "Web of Things: HTML5 for Resource-constrained Embedded Systems"
- "Migration Strategies from IPv4 to IPv6"
- "How to Identify Patterns for Machine-to-Machine Solutions with Cloud"
Lessons and Lessons Learned
- "Why I Failed at Kickstarter and My Friends Didn't"
- "From Prototype to Production with Minimal Risk"
- "PCB Design in 45 Minutes"
- "An Engineer's Guide to Braving the Hardware Startup World"
- "FPGAs: I know nothing ... yet."
- "Mars Ate My Spacecraft"
Linux Kernel and Operating Systems
- "So You Want to use Linux?"
- "Real-Time Linux: Not So Fast!"
- "Device Drivers Demystified"
- "Reducing Embedded Linux Boot Time"
- "Device Trees: A Database Approach to Describing Hardware"
- "Lessons from the Trenches--The Care and Feeding of Open Source in Embedded Systems"
- "Low-Power Analog Techniques for Maximizing Battery Life in Embedded-Control Systems"
- "Wireless Power Management for Battery Power"
- "Low-power Benchmarking and What Datasheets Don't Show You"
- "Power Analysis for Embedded Audio Processing"
- "Analog Interfaces for Low-Power Design"
- "Energy Harvesting for Microcontrollers"
Processors and Programmable Devices
- "FPGA Design for Embedded Systems"
- "Programmable Devices 101 (Everything you wanted to know about FPGAs but were too scared to ask)"
- "Designing a Tele-Presence Robot--What Was I Thinking?"
- "Yes, We CAN Hear You Now! The Rise of Embedded Speech"
- "Live Or Let Die: The Game Of Life--MCU/MPU vs. FPGA Implementation?"
- "The Design of a Chess Playing FPGA"
- "Don't Waste Those MCU Cycles! Unlock the Processing Power of Wireless Modules in Embedded Systems"
- "Designing an Open Source Arduino/FPGA Development Board"
- "Space: The Final Frontier--FPGAs for Space & Harsh Environments"
- "Why you should be using Python/MyHDL as your HDL"
- "We See You! The Rise Of Embedded Vision"
- "Danger Will Robinson! How Radiation Can Affect Your Embedded Systems"
- "The Many Ways of Programming an ARM Cortex-M MCU"
- "Using OpenCL to Maximize Complex Floating Point Processing Engines in 20nm FPGAs"
- "The Most Misunderstood Features of C"
- "Hands-on Test Driven Development in C"
- "C++ for Embedded C Programmers"
- "Systems Programming in the Distributed, Multicore World with Go, Rust, and ParaSail"
- "Writing Efficient, Self-Maintaining Code with C++ Templates"
- "Memory Access Ordering in Complex Embedded Systems"
- "Multicore Thread to CPU Mapping on Linux and other RTOSes"
- "Designing Your System for High Reliability"
- "Undercover C++: What's Efficient and What Isn't"
- "New Features in C++ for Low-Level Programming"
- "Object-Oriented Programming for High-Integrity Systems: Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them"
- "Using the C++ STL Without Dynamic Memory"
- "Rapid Prototyping is as Easy as Uno, Due, Tre"
- "Printed Circuit Board Supply Chain Structure and Techniques for Reducing Prototype Turns and Turnaround"
- "Rapid Prototyping with Sensor/Actuator Breakout Boards using Bonescript"
- "Rapid Embedded UI Prototyping with Qt Quick"
Real-Time Operating Systems
- "Fundamentals of Real-Time Kernels"
- "Really Real Time Systems"
- "How to do Real Time without an RTOS"
- "How to Measure RTOS Performance"
- "Separate and Not Equal: Safety and Security Design in Real-Time Operating Systems"
Safety, Security and Hacking Embedded Systems
- "Security Fundamentals for Embedded Software"
- "Practical Design of Safety-Critical Architectures"
- "Retrofitting Security Into Existing Embedded Devices"
- "Electromagnetic Side-Channel Analysis of a Mobile/Embedded Development Board"
- "Hack or be Hacked!"
- "'Android Security'" = Oxymoron. Learn to Improve the Security of your Embedded Systems"
- "Can Your System Meet Safety Critical Applications? A Case Study of an IEC 61508 Class Design"
- "Take Full Advantage of Multicore with Multi-OS Architectures"
- "User Interface Design and Human Factors for Embedded Systems"
- "Designing for Change"
- "Multicore Software Development Practices for Embedded Systems"
- "Agility in the Embedded World"
- "A Rigorous but Practical Specification Technique for Embedded Systems"
- "Software Design for Multicore Systems--2013 Edition"
- "Adaptive Embedded Development"
- "Agile Embedded Software Development"
- "Costly Mistakes of Real-Time Software Development"
- "Software Performance Engineering"
- "Agile Requirements, Estimation and Planning--Iteration Zero"
- "Better Firmware Faster"
- "Designing Embedded Systems that do not Damage Humans"
- "Using Standards and Inspections to Slash Schedules and Improve Quality"
- "Maximizing Battery Life on Embedded Devices"
- "Context Awareness using Sensors in a Smartphone"
- "Using Hardware/Software Co-design Methods for Implementing Efficient Small Cell Femto Solutions"
- "System Engineering in Automotive Design"
- "System Integration and Test Techniques"
- "Embedded Basics"
- "Analog for Digital Engineers"
- "Embedded Project Management and Planning Tools"
- "LEDs 101"
- "How to Benefit from the First to File System Under The America Invents Act"
- "Build, Borrow and Buy strategies for IoT"
- "10 Computer Languages in 45 Minutes"
- "Selecting an MCU Board"
- "Introduction to Embedded Vision"
- "Cloud 101 for Embedded Designers"
- "Why C Matters for Embedded Systems"
- "Android Sensors: A Top to Bottom Approach"
- "How to Work with Open Source More Effectively"
- "VHDL Basics for Beginners"
- "Programmable Devices 101 (Introduction to FPGAs and Verilog/VHDL)"
Register here for DESIGN West 2013.