Slideshow: EE Times, EDN honor 2012 ACE Award winners
SAN JOSE, Calif.—UBM Electronics, a division of UBM plc and the publisher of EE Times, EDN and other publications, honored companies, teams and individuals for achievements over the past year by presenting the 2012 UBM Electronics ACE Awards in a ceremony here Tuesday (March 27).
The new award program, which combines the EE Times ACE (Annual Creativity in Electronics) Awards and EDN's Innovation Awards, was conducted in conjunction with DESIGN West, a new conference and expo built around the rich foundation of training, education and products available at ESC, combined with popular summits and new event launches in one venue for the first time.
The UBM Electronics ACE Awards recognize and honors the people and companies behind the technologies and new products that are changing the world of electronics globally.
A panel of EE Times and EDN editors narrowed down the entries to five finalists in each category, based on the criteria set forth in an online submission form. Winners were determined from among the finalists by a panel of independent judges. Judging took place from Nov. 1, 2011, to Jan. 6, 2012.
"It was a challenge for our judges to select one winner in each category from all of the creative and innovative technologies represented by the finalists," said Junko Yoshida, editor in chief of EE Times. "The winners have proven that they are pioneers in developing and implementing breakthroughs in electronics. We hope this awards program gives companies worldwide the impetus to stretch their imaginations and their resources for even more progress in the coming year."
Stay tuned for a slideshow that depicts the 2012 ACE Award winners at Tuesday's ceremony, which will be posted later today.
Dan Novak, vice president of global marketing, PR and communications at Qualcomm Inc. (left), accepts the 2012 ACE Company of the Year Award from EE Times editor in chief Junko Yoshida.
- STARTUP OF THE YEAR - mCube
- COMPANY OF THE YEAR - Qualcomm, Inc.
- EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR - Rich Beyer, Freescale Semiconductor
- DESIGN TEAM OF THE YEAR - Tilera Corporation
- INNOVATOR OF THE YEAR - Michael McCorquodale, Integrated Device Technology
- ENERGY TECHNOLOGY AWARD - Maxim Integrated Products
- ULTIMATE PRODUCTS
- SoCs - Zynq-7000 EPP (Extensible Processing Platform), Xilinx
- Analog ICs - 3LG family of CrystalFree CMOS oscillators, Integrated Device Technology
- Digital ICs (MCUs, FPGAs, microprocessors) - LPC11U00 microcontrollers, NXP Semiconductors
- Power - LTC6803 multicell battery stack monitor,
- Human-Machine Interface Technology - Xtrinsic capacitive and resistive touch sensing platform, Freescale Semiconductor
- Software - Virtual System Platform,
- Passive Components, Sensors, Indicators and Interconnects - TMP006 temperature sensor, Texas Instruments
- Development Kits, Reference Designs & SBCs - Home Health Hub reference platform, Freescale Semiconductor
- Test & Measurement Systems & Boards – MDO4000 mixed-domain oscilloscope, Tektronix
- MOST ENGAGED COMMUNITY MEMBER - Jonathan Chan
- BEST STUDENT DESIGN/DESIGN CHALLENGE WITH PUBLIC SCHOOLS - Oak Canyon Junior High team, Lindon, UT, Pipe Dreams Christmas Tree, Ted Hansen, Teacher; Wayne Rust, Team Mentor
- CONTRIBUTOR OF THE YEAR - Jim Williams
- STUDENT OF THE YEAR -
- MENTOR OF THE YEAR - Stewart Christie, Product Marketing Engineer, Intelligent Systems Group, Intel
- LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- Dr. James Truchard,
- Jeff Kodosky, National Instruments
- IEEE SPECTRUM TECHNOLOGY IN THE SERVICE OF SOCIETY -Ekso Bionics
- IEEE SPECTRUM EMERGING TECHNOLOGY AWARD - SuVolta
For more coverage and insight on the winners, go to ACE Awards 2012: Celebrating excellence in engineering.