TI releases real-time operating system
Texas Instruments announced the availability of a new real-time operating system based on preemptive multithreading kernel for certain TI MCUs. Called TI-RTOS, the RTOS includes:
• Deterministic, real-time multitasking kernel (SYS/BIOS)
• TCP/IP stack, including network applications
• USB, EMAC, MMC/SD host and device stacks and class drivers
• FAT-compatible file system fully integrated with C RTS file I/O functions
• Ethernet, USB, UART, I2C and SD device drivers
• Low overhead core-to-core communication mechanism for dual-core devices
TI's announcement says TI-RTOS will "eliminate the need for designers to write and maintain complex system software, including schedulers, protocol stacks and low-level drivers." TI-RTOS is integrated with TI's Code Composer Studio integrated development environment (IDE) and contains board support packages and dev kits, including the TI MCU LaunchPads. Also developers will be able to obtain application-specific software via TI's Design Network. The RTOS already meets on-chip memory constraints for certain TI MCUs.
TI-RTOS is available today on ARM Cortex-M4 MCUs and C2000 dual core C28x + ARM Cortex-M3 MCUs. It will be offered soon on MSP430 MCUs, as well as other C2000 and ARM-based MCUs. TI says it will continue to expand its RTOS offering beyond the MCU portfolio to other processor families.
Download free TI-RTOS software from TI.
--Based on press release.