Based on web site statistics on readership and page views on Embedded.com, here are the most popular and most read columns and design articles published on the site during 2009:
Top 10 Design Articles
1) Dive in to C++ and survive
2) A crash course in UML state machines
3) Practical Embedded Coding Tips
4) FLIRTing with 8-bit MCU OSes
5) An introduction to Synchronized Ethernet
6) Using open-source GNU, Eclipse & Linux to develop multicoreCell apps
7) Mechanical vs. digital: a GUI isn't always the answer
8) CAN in 30 minutes or less
9) Building Bare-Metal ARM Systems with GNU
10) Lossless Data Compression for Embedded Systems.
Top 10 Columns
1) Real men program in C.
2) Bug-killing standards for firmware coding
3) Poor reasons for rejecting C++ .
4) Firmware architecture in five easy steps .
5) Why all the math? .
6) More bug-killing standards for firmware coding.
7) Programming quotations .
8) Calculating trajectories for Apollo program .
9) Perfect software.
10) Examining your most important tools.
Top Embedded Design Topics
Also based on an analysis of the web traffic statistics on Embedded.com, here are some of the most read design topics, in roughly the order of their popularity: 1) C and C++ programming and debugging; 2) Programming and debugging, regardless of language or environment (hardware or software); 3) 8-, 16-, and 32-bit microcontroller development; 4) 32-bit embedded processor development; 5) multi-core software development; 6) GUI design; 7) RTOS design and use; 8) high level model-based and model-driven software design; 9) Open source Linux, GNU and Eclipse software development; 10) Portable Design; 11) Wireless Device Design; 12) Sensor-based application development.
What is your favorite design article or column? Which ones were most useful in your design environment? What design topics would you like to be covered on Embedded.com in the future?