Freescale Semiconductor has introduced new high-performance, low-power three-axis accelerometers in a 2×2 mm ultra-compact package. The pin-compatible Xtrinsic MMA8652FC 12-bit and MMA8653FC 10-bit accelerometers provide low noise and advanced motion accuracy for power- and space-constrained mobile devices, including smart phones, tablets, digital cameras, portable navigation solutions and health care applications.
Click on image to enlarge.
Freescale's Xtrinsic MMA8652FC and MMA8653FC micro-electromechanical system (MEMS) based accelerometers support a range of features such as gesture detection, image stability, tap to control, anti-theft, and tumble and freefall detection. The MMA865xFC accelerometers, combined with Freescale's sensor toolbox development tools, enable simpler, more efficient design cycles, decreasing developers' time-to-market and lowering costs. Utilizing the MMA865xFC family, system designers can easily integrate into their products standard functions like orientation detection and more advanced applications such as eCompass and location-based services.
The new accelerometers deliver advanced sensitivity of 1 mg per LSB and feature six user configurable sample rates that can be set over a wide range (from 1.5 to 800 samples per second). The accelerometers incorporate Freescale's MEMS transducer for improved space efficiency and an on-chip FIFO (first-in/first-out) memory buffer that allows for smarter system power management. When combined with the host processor, this can contribute to a consumption savings that can range up to 96 percent or higher depending on conditions of the microcontroller and output data rates chosen.
Summary of features
- Low-profile 2 x 2 x 1 mm DFN package
- 12- and 10- bit digital output
- High sensitivity: 1 mg per LSB
- Low noise: 156 micro g per root Hertz (independent of resolution)
- Interrupt and IIC interface supply: 1.62 to 3.6 V
- Supply voltage : 1.95 to 3.6 V
- Output data rate: 1.5 to 800 Hz
- Low-power mode: 6 micro amps
- Two programmable interrupt pins for seven interrupt sources
- Orientation (portrait/landscape) detection with hysteresis
- MMA8652FC embedded motion detection features:
- Freefall or motion detection
- Pulse detection
- Jolt detection
- Automatic output data rate change for auto-wake/sleep
- Self test
- MMA8652FC embedded 32 sample FIFO buffer
- High pass filtered data available per sample and through the FIFO
The Xtrinsic MMA8652FC 12-bit accelerometer and MMA8653FC 10-bit accelerometer are now available in sample quantities. Production quantities are planned for Q4 2012 from Freescale and its distribution partners at a suggested resale price of $0.77 (USD) for the MMA8652FC accelerometer and $0.66 (USD) for the MMA8653FC accelerometer in 10,000-piece quantities.