I just heard from TriQuint that they scored a $17.5M GaN manufacturing development contract form the US Air Force Research Laboratory. TriQuint says that the money will be used to fund the development of maximized yield, improve time to market, and lower cost in high-power, high-frequency device manufacturing, specifically in 100mm GaN.
The aim is to complete the process by 2013. If you're interested in GaN developments, here are a few other items making news lately:
- Sumitomo claims first 6-in. GaN wafers
- Startup raises VC for GaN-on-Si factory
- Triquint rolls GaN PA for Counter-IED defense apps
- Plessey plans to run GaN, SiGe at UK fab
- Toshiba Adds High Gain 50W GaN HEMT Power Amplifier for C-Band SATCOM Applications