The Bluetooth 4.0 wireless protocol, also known as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) or Bluetooth Smart , offers low-energy power management for short-range wireless connectivity that is location-aware, and context-aware. Integrated with Waspmote, Libelium’s BLE module allows sensor devices to function as real time location systems, with encrypted data transactions.
The principal function of Libelium’s Waspmote BLE module is to broadcast data advertisements , or iBeacons , that allow sensor data to be transmitted without the need of a previous pairing process. BLE allows any device to connect to the Internet with a smartphone or tablet that bridges data to the Cloud through the Wi-Fi or 3G radio available in the mobile device.
Waspmote connects any sensor, using any wireless communication protocol, to any Cloud platform. In addition to Bluetooth Low Energy module, Waspmote interfaces with six radio protocols—including Wi-Fi, ZigBee, 802.15.4, NFC, 3G, GPRS—and allows to switch between any two of these technologies as needed.
BLE module features:
- RX Sensitivity: -103dBm
- TX Power: [-23dBM, + 3dBm]
- Consumption: Sleep mode (0.4uA) / RX (8mA) / TX (36mA)
- AES 128 encryption used in master/slave mode
- Accurate RSSI interpretation and timing response
- CE / FCC / IC certification; Japan and Korea qualified; quad-band connectivity (850/900/1900/2100MHz)