Broadcom Corporation has introduced what the company claims is the industry's first six stream 802.11ac MIMO platform for home networks. Broadcom's 5G WiFi XStream is up to 50 percent faster than MU-MIMO routers and gateways.
The new platform has twice the bandwidth of existing 802.11ac routers and gateways, and provides advanced software to double performance of today's best-selling Wi-Fi devices for high-definition (HD) streaming and data consumption. By offering Wi-Fi data rates up to 3.2 Gbps, Broadcom's 5G WiFi XStream is designed for users who are simultaneously consuming more data, connecting Internet of Things devices and streaming HD content to multiple screens.
Broadcom's Intelligent Quality of Service (iQoS) advanced software identifies incoming traffic and allocates bandwidth so that applications like Netflix or YouTube get the highest priority while other applications, like file downloads, run at a lower priority. Broadcom's SmartConnect software automatically ensures that 802.11ac devices in the home are not sharing airtime with slower Wi-Fi devices. This process doubles the performance of all devices in the network.
- Five core “Penta Core” central processing unit (CPU) made up of two 5GHz radios and one 2.4GHz radio as well as 2.96 GHz processing power to maximize network capacity
- Support for recently released spectrum from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) through simultaneous multichannel capabilities in 5 GHz band to enable six 802.11ac streams over 160 MHz of bandwidth
- Greatest reach and rate at range through high power RF on upper 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands
- Better range for video streaming with transmit beamforming and AnyBeam technology
- SmartConnect software to ensure each Wi-Fi device operates on best frequency band in one of three appropriate wireless channels
- Automatic separation of coexisting 802.11n and 802.11ac Wi-Fi devices into distinct frequencies
- BroadStream Intelligent Quality of Service (iQoS) software to identify incoming traffic and allocate appropriate bandwidth for priority applications
- Wireless Insight software as visual tool to allow users to easily notice and diagnose common Wi-Fi issues, reducing the cost of ownership
- Standards compliance to ensure all Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices seamlessly interoperate and benefit with the new platform