Broadcom Corporation has announced an expanded portfolio of 5G WiFi chips and system-on-chip (SoC) devices for high performance and mass market retail routers, wireless cable/DSL/PON gateways and set-top boxes (STBs). The new 802.11ac offerings enable OEMs to design products to meet growing consumer demand for streaming HD content wirelessly across multiple devices in the home.
Broadcom's 5G WiFi portfolio now includes what the company claims is the world's fastest 4×4 5G WiFi MU-MIMO chip for home gateways and STBs. The BCM4366 incorporates multiple 802.11ac Wave 2 features, including a MU-MIMO implementation, which delivers up to a 4x speed boost. In addition, multiple radio optimizations enable the delivery of broadcast-quality video over a wireless network. For retail Wi-Fi access point routers, the BCM4366 is coupled with the BCM47094 network processor SoC which utilizes a powerful 1.4 GHz dual core ARM processor, enabling unprecedented wireless and video streaming performance.
Click on image to enlarge.
The BCM4366 is a 5G WiFi 4×4 MU-MIMO radio chip for high-performance routers, wireless cable/DSL gateways and set-top boxes, featuring:
- NitroQAM modulation for higher peak throughput
- Capable of 8×8 5G WiFi XStream configuration with 8 client MU-MIMO support
- Dedicated hardware for enhancing video distribution while maintaining best-in-class data performance
- Enhanced receiver performance in the presence of interference for better range
- Enables 160MHz aggregation for mobile devices taking upload and download speeds to the next level
- Zero Wait DFS allows access points to connect to more 5 GHz channels and achieve higher capacity to deliver better performance
The BCM53573 and BCM47189 are dual-band 2×2 SoCs for affordable and mid-tier residential routers and bridges, including:
- Integrated 2×2/1+1 5G WiFi with CPU, FE switch and USB
- Concurrent frequency operation in 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for routers
- High performance ARM CPU & PCIe to enable handling simultaneous dual-band 5G WiFi
- RGMII to enable GigE
- iPA and ePA support
The BCM47094 is a network processor SoC with dual core 1.4GHz ARM9 CPU and integrated gigabit Ethernet switch, featuring:
- High performance CPU platform for Broadcom Wave-2 5G WiFi
- USB 3.0 with 100MB/s USB storage performance (NAS)