The electronic system design (ESD) industry saw total market revenue of $13.2 billion in 2021, with Q4 revenue up by 14.4% overall compared to the same quarter in 2020. Categories that recorded double digit growth in Q4 2021 were computer-aided engineering, printed circuit board and multi-chip module, semiconductor intellectual property, and services.
Data released by the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, indicated total market revenue increased 14.4% from $3,031.5 million in Q4 2020 to $3,468.2 million in Q4 2021. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 15.8%. Companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 51,236 people globally in Q4 2021, a 5.7% increase over the Q4 2020 headcount of 48,478.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by product and application category – year-over-year change
- Computer-aided engineering (CAE) revenue increased 11.2% to $1,064.6 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 12.2%.
- IC physical design and verification revenue decreased 2% to $624.5 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category rose 7%.
- Printed circuit board and multi-chip module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 13.9% to $333.7 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 15.1%.
- Semiconductor intellectual property (SIP) revenue jumped 24.8% to $1,314.3 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 23.9%.
- Services revenue increased 43.1% to $131.1 million. The four-quarter services moving average increased 19%.
Revenue by region – year-over-year change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,577.2 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2021, a 21% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 17.2%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $482.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2021, a 5.5% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 12.6%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services decreased 2.4% to $222.8 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 1%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,185.6 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2021, a 13.8% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 18.9%.
Walden (Wally) C. Rhines was executive sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report.
- Bringing analog circuit design into the digital age
- Chip design in the cloud? Now you can have pay-as-you go EDA
- Synopsys enables multi-die designs with HBM3 IP and verification
- Cadence enables multi chiplet design with Integrity 3D-IC platform
- Time of flight system design: System overview