Imagination Technologies introduces an innovative WebRTC media engine that promises to deliver a new level of quality to companies building native or browser-based voice and video conferencing services based on WebRTC. Imagination’s HelloSoft WebRTC engine provides enhanced voice and video quality for a superior user experience across mobile and tablet platforms.
The open WebRTC initiative, supported by Google, Mozilla, Opera and others, enables development of rich, web-based Real-Time Communications (RTC) multimedia applications such as video chat, file/screen-sharing and other two-way communications. Companies bringing WebRTC applications to mobile devices must consider challenges such as power consumption, packet losses in wireless environments, bandwidth availability, echo cancellation and resource/memory availability, among others.
Imagination’s HelloSoft WebRTC media engine incorporates a number of features for better performance, functionality and overall user experience:
- Improved voice quality for speaker phone functionality across platforms with pre-processing modules for acoustic echo cancellation (AEC), noise cancellation (NC) and more
- Superior quality voice and video under lossy wireless environments through Imagination’s DVQM (Dynamic Video Quality Management) and EVQM (Enhanced Voice Quality Management) algorithms that mitigate up to 30% of packet losses
- Optimized for major processor architectures including the MIPS CPU architecture, with support for Android, iOS, Windows and Linux-based operating systems
- Support for a comprehensive list of voice codecs including OPUS, G.722, G.722.1, AMR-WB, AMR-NB, G.729ab, G.723.1, G.711, Speex, EVRC, iLBC; plus video codecs including VP8 and H.264
- Leverage of the hardware video accelerators available on a device, such as PowerVR video codecs found in millions of devices
Imagination’s WebRTC media engine is also available as a complete turn-key client in combination with call management software and SIP stack.