The Corona (MAXREFDES12#) reference design by Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. reduces isolated channels and leverages analog integration for industrial control and automation applications.
Integrating three Maxim products including a transformer driver, the Corona design reduces isolated channels and eliminates the need for power-hungry optocouplers and discrete parts. These savings reduce power by 16%, solution size by 38%, and cost by 23%. Maxim’s devices used in Corona are designed specifically for harsh industrial environments with operating temperature ranges from -40°C to +125°C, so they are ideal for use in PLCs and other automation applications.
- Analog integration: reduces isolation channels to four while Maxim’s digital isolator eliminates the need for optoisolators; optimized for 16, 24, and 32 input channel designs, the digital input serializer’s SPI busses can be daisy-chained to further reduce isolation channel count, leading to increased savings
- Lower power: best-in-class power consumption; uses 16% less power than the traditional design approach
- Lower cost: uses 38 fewer parts than a traditional design to create a less expensive integrated solution
- Smaller size: provides 51% fewer components than a traditional design
The three integrated Maxim products include:
- the MAX31911 : industrial, octal, digital input translator/serializer delivers best-in-class power consumption and reduces component count on the board;
- the MAX14850 : 6-channel digital isolator enables low power consumption and stable high-temperature performance; UL1577, CSA, IEC 60747-5-2 safety certified. Replaces optoisolators, which have limited LED lifespan, with a 5x longer life solution; and
- the MAX13256 : 36V H-bridge transformer driver simplifies isolated power designs.
The complete reference design is available in a 90mm x 20mm Pmod form factor. Pricing starts at $45 (FOB USA). Available through distribution channels today.