Houston, Texas – Texas Instruments today announced the TMS320C2834x series of Delfino floating-point controllers designed for high-end control applications that require high performance, floating-point precision and stringent system efficiency, accuracy and reliability.
The new floating point controllers, the company said, double performance to 300 MHz and include 516KB of single cycle access RAM memory, high resolution pulse width modulation outputs (PWMs), 32-bit QEP modules as well as other control-oriented features.
The new Delfino devices are supported by two new modular controlCARD tools designed to jump start development of real-time control applications such as servo drives, renewable energy, power line monitoring and driver assistance.
First devices in the family are the C28343 and C28346, which are supported by the DIM100 controlCARD and DIM168 controlCARD. The controlCARDs are modular daughtercards designed to plug into TI's portfolio of evaluation and application boards such as the recently announced Renewable Energy Developer's Kit, Resonant DC/DC Developer's Kit and Peripheral Explorer Developer's Kit. Key features of the new devices include:
1) a 300 MHz C28x core for fast interrupt response, minimal latency, execution of complex control algorithms and real-time data analysis;
2) a 32-bit floating-point unit designed to ease programming of magnitude calculations, eliminates scaling and saturation burden and improves performance of algorithms such as Park transforms and proportional integral derivatives (PID);
3) 516 KB on-chip single cycle access RAM for high-speed program execution and data access;
4) a 65ps high-resolution PWM modules allow for optimal precision;
5) on-chip CAN, I2C, SPI and standard serial interface (SCI) peripherals; and,
6) an external ADC interface.
The Delfino series of C2000 microcontrollers are sampling today and will start at $8.95 in volume production. Customers can now place sample orders for the first two configurations available from the C2834x series. The TMX320C28346, starting at $19.70 (100 unit pricing), is the superset configuration operating at 300MHz and includes 516KB of on-chip RAM. The TMX320C28343 operates at 200MHz, includes 260KB of on-chip RAM and starts at $13.50 (100 unit pricing).
The C28346 DIM168 Experimenter's Kit (TMDXDOCK28346-168) and C28343 DIM100 Experimenter's Kit (TMDXDOCK28343) are also immediately available for order entry and are priced at $189 and $159, respectively.
To learn more about the Delfino floating-point controllers, go to www.ti.com/delfinopr.