In an attempt to make experimenting with microcontrollers fun and easy Texas Instruments Inc. has released an evaluation kit and book to provide a hands-on mini robotic platform for learning and using the Micrium μC/OS-III real-time kernel with TI’s Stellaris MCUs.
The Robotic Evaluation Board (EVALBOT) for use with Micrium’s µC/OS-III is a mini robot that allows developers to experience the Stellaris ARM Cortex-M3-based LM3S9B92 MCU in real-world applications that make use of the processor’s integrated 10/100 Ethernet MAC/PHY, USB On-The-Go, CAN, and motion control capabilities.
TI say that quick assembly of the kit, that includes the hardware and software required, enables developers to begin evaluation in 10 minutes or less.
A Stellaris-specific version of the book by Micrium’s president and CEO, Jean J. Labrosse, μC/OS-III: The Real-Time Kernel is provided which reveals how a real-time kernel works using Micrium’s μC/OS-III and the Stellaris EVALBOT.
The Stellaris EVALBOT and book bundle inlcudes:
- A 80 MHz Stellaris LM3S9B92 MCU with 256K flash, 96K SRAM, StellarisWare software in ROM, as well as integrated Ethernet, USB On-the-Go (OTG)/Host/Device and CAN;
- Two DC gear-motors that provide drive and steering, opto-sensors that detect wheel rotation with 45° resolution, and sensors for “bump” detection;
- TI motor drivers, voltage regulators, audio codec, interface and logic devices for easy evaluation of the complete signal chain;
- Bright 96 x 6 blue OLED display and on-board speaker;
- Integrated in-circuit debug Interface (ICDI) requires only a single (included) USB cable for software debugging, flash programming and serial port connectivity;
- Two 20-pin headers enable future wireless communications using standardized TI low-power embedded radio modules;
- Stellaris-specific version of μC/OS-III: The Real-Time Kernel includes example display, audio and motor control projects for EVALBOT, putting concepts into practice to expedite a user’s proficiency;
- EVALBOT robot operates on 3-AA batteries, included in kit.