SYSGO has released version 5.1 of its embedded Linux product ELinOS, especially designed and packaged to address industrial needs. The release includes the stable version of Linux kernel 2.6.34 as long with other supported versions such as 2.6.22, 2.6.27, 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 to guarantee previous compatibility and smooth migration if needed.
Major improvements are support of 64-bit architectures, SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) support, updated eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and toolchain, two types of real-time extensions (OSADL and Xenomai), and new multi-core processors support (such as Freescale's QorlQ, ARM Cortex and TI OMAP 4).
The release of Industrial Grade Linux offers integration of several major kernel releases, including 2.6.34 with full 64-bit target support, latest GCC 4.4 toolchain, and support for major architectures such as Intel, PowerPC, ARM, MIPS64 and SPARC V8.
The new 5.1 release brings many improvements as well as new features and up to date components to the long established ELinOS product line.
The 5.1 version also includes:
- Real-time extension based on Open Source Automation Development Lab (OSADL) implementation (PREEMPT RT) especially designed and tested for industrial needs (available with 2.6.33 kernel);
- Real-time extension based on Xenomai 2.5.5 (available with 2.6.34 kernel);
- Support for latest embedded CPUs including Freescale QorIQ, ARM Cortex, TI OMAP 4;
- SMP (Symmetric multiprocessing) support on multi-core platforms x86, x86-64, PPC 60x, PPC e500, PPC e500mc, ARM, and MIPS64 (including Cavium Networks' OCTEON);
- Extended tracing capabilities and improved tracing performance, including SMP and 64-bit based applications;
- Networking management tool for Ethernet and WLAN;
- New 4.0 version of CODEO, the eclipse based IDE that includes integration of QEMU simulator as a development target;
- Security features such as integrated rule-based firewall, support for digitally signed binaries, secure remote shell access, VPN (StrongSWAN, OpenVPN);
- More than 2000 precompiled target libraries and applications such as BusyBox, XOrg7.3, Mesa7.0, QT 4.7, QT embedded 4.7, GTK+ 2.20.1, OpenSSH, Lighttpd, Apache 2.2.16, network manager 0.8.1 and many more;
- Enhanced support of Adobe Flash Lite;
- Support for Windows 7 32 and 64-bit host platforms.
ELinOS 5.1 is available now for Linux and Windows hosted platforms. The six families of supported processors are the x86, PowerPC, ARM, SH, SPARC V8 and MIPS64.