Texas Instruments Incorporated has added two new devices to the industry's lowest power 16-bit digital signal processor (DSP) C5000 platform.
The TMS320C5514 and TMS320C5515 are the latest additions to the new low power TMS320C55x DSPs and provide a 20 percent performance increase, up to 120 MHz, with higher integration to ease system level development.
The new devices allow customers to maintain low power levels while adding features such as additional encode and decode algorithms in voice, audio and portable communications applications, as well as more real-time diagnostics in medical end equipment. The devices also integrate power management features, such as on-chip LDOs (low-dropout regulators), as well as dynamic voltage and frequency scaling, so customers can maximize and efficiently manage battery life for portable devices.
TI is also offering two evaluation options including a full-featured TMDXEVM5515 evaluation module and a new low cost TMDX5515EZDSP.
C5514 DSP key features and benefits:
- Three on-chip LDOs, one each for the DSP core, USB and analog subsystems
- SDRAM and mobile SDRAM support for power sensitive applications
- Highly-integrated peripherals – including a high-speed USB 2.0, I2S, UART, SPI, MMC/SD and GPIOs – reduce system cost and enable more user-friendly portable features
- Up to 256 KB of on-chip memory saves both power and system cost by reducing the need for external memory
- Dynamic voltage and frequency scaling help to maximize battery life in portable applications
C5515 DSP key features and benefits (in addition to C5514):
- C5515 builds on C5514 with an additional 64KB on-chip memory (320KB total)
- Up to 1024-point programmable FFT hardware accelerator
- Integrated LCD display controller and 10-bit 4-channel SAR ADC reduce system cost and enable more user-interactive portable features
- Scalable and pin-to-pin compatible with the C5514, provides customers with the flexibility to choose the right device for their application with easy migration options to build robust product families.
Availability and Pricing
The full-featured TMDXEVM5515 evaluation module is compatible with the C5514 and C5515 low power DSPs and comes ready with a complete software library and several application demos. Additionally, building on TI's commitment to offer easy, low-cost evaluation options, developers can also take advantage of the new TMDX5515EZDSP. Priced at $79, this USB stick requires no other components or cables for hassle-free development and a simple out-of-the-box experience. The low cost development tool, integrates a number of capabilities including on-board emulation for rapid creation of DSP applications.
Free samples are available now for the TMX320C5514 and TMX320C5515. Full production of the C5514 is priced at $6.50 and the C5515 is priced at $7.65 both in 1,000 unit quantities. To jumpstart development, developers can use the TMDXEVM5515 DSP evaluation module, which is open for order-entry today and priced at $395.00. Additionally, for a lower cost evaluation alternative, the TMDX5515EZDSP is also open for order-entry today and is priced at $79.