TDK Corp., through its InvenSense subsidiary, rolled out a new line of automotive high-accuracy MEMS motion sensors at CES 2019. These include the “MotionTracking” automotive-qualified IAM-20680 and IAM-20680HP six-axis inertial measurement units (IMUs), which expand TDK’s existing line of automotive sensors that include the IAM-20380 gyroscope and IAM-20381 three-axis accelerometer . The automotive MEMS sensors can help improve the absolute position of a vehicle in GNSS- and GPS-poor environments, such as tunnels, parking garages, and urban canyons.
Here’s the automotive sensor lineup:
- Touted as the smallest six-axis automotive-qualified sensor (combining a three-axis gyroscope and a three-axis accelerometer), the IAM-20680 is claimed as the industry’s only device featuring 16-bit accelerometers and 16-bit gyroscopes in a series production car today. The operating temperature range is –40°C to 85°C.
- If you’re looking for a beefier and higher-temperature-range IMU, the IAM-20680HP, a high-performance version of the IAM-20680, offers an extended operating temperature range of –40°C to 105°C and high gyroscope and offset thermal stability. It is pin-, package-, and register-compatible with the IAM-20680.
- The IAM-20380, with an operating temperature range of –40°C to 85°C, is claimed as the only automotive-qualified gyroscope fully compatible (pin, package, register, and software) with a three-axis automotive accelerometer (IAM-20381) and an automotive-qualified six-axis device (IAM-20680).
- Similarly, the IAM-20381, with an operating temperature range of –40°C to 85°C, is touted as the only automotive-qualified three-axis accelerometer fully compatible (pin, package, register, and software) with a three-axis automotive gyroscope (IAM-20380) and an automotive-qualified six-axis device (IAM-20680).
Key specs include:
- Gyroscope full-scale: ±250°/s, ±500°/s, ±1,000°/s, ±2,000°/s
- Accelerometer full-scale: ±2g, ±4g, ±8g, ±16g
- Embedded temperature sensor
- 16-bit output for accelerometer, gyroscope, and temperature sensor
- SPI and I²C serial interface
- 512-bit FIFO
- 16-pin LGA package (3 × 3 × 0.75 mm)