Texas Instruments has introduced its latest devices with InstaSPIN-FOC (field-oriented control) and InstaSPIN-MOTION motor control technology. These C2000 Piccolo TMS320F2805x microcontrollers (MCUs) are equipped with the InstaSPIN-FOC and MOTION technology on the read-only memory (ROM) of the chip, which helps drastically reduce development time — from months to minutes.
These MCUs are optimized for a variety of three-phase sensored or sensorless motor control applications to control speed and improve efficiency, performance, and reliability of electric pumps, fans, traction drives, and more. The C2000 Piccolo F2805x MCUs also pack a number of analog components on chip to increase system efficiency and decrease the number of discrete parts required in a motor system design.
Choose from the C2000 Piccolo F2802x, F2805x and F2806x MCUs, ranging from $4-12 USD, that contain InstaSPIN-FOC, InstaSPIN-MOTION, InstaSPIN-MOTION with Position or a combination of those. Designers can also choose package size, number of pins, memory, clock speed, and control and communication peripherals.
Integrated analog control peripherals improve system efficiency and reduce bill of materials cost, including 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), 14 enhanced pulse-width-modulation (PWM) channels with fault management, seven windowed analog comparators with 10-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs), dual zero-pin oscillators, voltage regulator, up to four programmable gain amplifiers (PGAs) and 3 fixed-gain amplifiers, and 32-bit enhanced input capture module (eCAP) and enhanced quadrature encoder pulse (eQEP) for rotor sensor interface.
Developers can leverage InstaSPIN-MOTION SpinTAC components embedded on the ROM of the C2000 F2805x MCUs to:
- Ensure optimum tracking and disturbance rejection, working with the real inertia of the system.
- Minimize effort and reduce complexity with single coefficient tuning. Rapidly test and tune velocity control from soft to stiff response, defining a controller gain that typically works across the entire variable speed and load range of an application. Actively estimate and cancel system disturbances in real time, providing maximum performance.
- Produce an automatically optimized motion profile based on start velocity, target velocity and system limitations for acceleration, jerk and motion trajectory type.
- Quickly build various states of motion (speed A to speed B) and tie them together with state-based logic.
- Achieve sensorless torque or velocity control with the FAST algorithm-based sensorless control, as well as InstaSPIN-FOC and InstaSPIN-MOTION projects.
- C28x CPU running at 60 MHz with embedded memory for more storage, including up to 128 KB Flash and up to 20 KB SRAM. Boot ROM and 128-bit security key on protected zones for both Flash and ROM ensure code security for entire device or mixed-source software development.
- On-chip communication interfaces, such as an SPI module, I2C bus, CAN 2.0 and three SCI/UART modules improve connectivity for real-time communications.
- Evaluate quickly and easily using the compatible C2000 F28054M controlCARD motor control library through the MotorWare software infrastructure, which offers the latest in C object-oriented and API-based coding techniques and lab-based projects and documentation.
- Pair with DRV8312 for a complete three-phase, brushless DC motor and motion control solution.