Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is offering a flexible stereo audio codec with two fully-programmable miniDSP cores to support customized processing solutions for use in soundbars and docking stations. The PCM3070 includes a stereo 24-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC), stereo 24-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and integrated phased-locked loop (PLL) for flexible audio clock generation. The codec enables designers to produce high-quality, low-cost soundbar solutions and, coupled with the Value Soundbar Reference Design Kit, develop their products quickly.
Key features and benefits
- Integrated, programmable 32-bit miniDSP engines allow for customized processing solutions, including branded audio effects, multiband dynamic range compression, and custom filters and algorithms.
- SRS WOW HD, included as a standard feature at no additional cost to customers, improves the playback quality of audio, delivering a dynamic 3D entertainment experience with deep, rich bass and high frequency clarity for crisp detail.
- Near-term roadmap plans will provide interested customers with an upgrade path to include SRS TruVolume and/or SRS TruSurround HD through direct licensing arrangements with SRS Labs, Inc.
- Highly integrated solution, including 24-bit stereo DAC, 24-bit stereo ADC, and integrated PLL simplifies system design and reduces bill of materials.
- Single-supply power system can run from 1.8 V to 3.6 V.
The PCM3070 is a core component of TI’s Value Soundbar Reference Design Kit. The kit is optimized to deliver 30 percent lower cost than a discrete solution, and helps designers get to market in approximately eight weeks. In addition to the PCM3070, the open-tool reference design board includes TI’s DIR9001 digital audio receiver, PCM2705 USB DAC, TPA3110D2 Class-D amplifier, and MSP430F2131 ultra low power microcontroller. The kit includes the board, schematics, gerber files, bill of materials, user manual and software.
Availability and pricing
The PCM3070 is available now in a 5-mm x 5-mm 32-pin QFN package, priced at $2.95 in quantities of 1,000. For more information and to order samples and evaluation modules, visit www.ti.com/pcm3070-pr.
The Value Soundbar Reference Design kit is available now, priced at $399. Order at www.ti.com/valuesoundbarkit-pr.
Toni McConnel can be reached at .