Imagination Technologies has announced the new Ensigma Series4 Whisper low-power radio processing unit (RPU) architecture, designed specifically for next-generation ultra-low power, cost-sensitive devices to drive a new generation of wearables, IoT and other connected devices where ultra-low power consumption and low cost points are key. Low-power Ensigma Whisper RPUs provide multi-standard support in a single architecture, designed to enable customers to bring standards such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Classic, Bluetooth Smart, NFC, GNSS and other existing or emerging low-power connectivity technologies onto their SoCs. By bringing this functionality on-chip, customers can minimize power consumption, silicon footprint and system cost compared with conventional solutions.
Whisper RPUs are
- Configurable: the Whisper architecture supports a broad range of lower bitrate connectivity standards needed in IoT and other small-footprint connected devices
- Power-efficient: Whisper RPUs feature highly optimized, configurable hardware with Imagination’s PowerGearing for Ensigma that optimizes both static and dynamic power consumption in the cores
- Clean: the tightly coupled modem/processor in Whisper can eliminate the host processor or alleviate its load, for the smallest embedded system size and lowest power consumption
The Ensigma family of RPUs, including Whisper and Explorer, is designed to meet the needs of a range of devices and applications:
- Scalable: Whisper and Explorer RPUs address applications from ultra-low power to maximum performance, and with a common API, customers can reuse software across the platforms
- Proven: Ensigma RPUs are shipping today in numerous low-power audio and connectivity devices with a growing range of designs also in the pipeline
- Complete: to reduce customers’ time to market, Ensigma RPUs are uniquely provided as end-to-end offerings including RF if needed, and certifications
For IoT and other next-generation connected applications, customers can benefit from the combination of Ensigma RPUs and MIPS CPUs – the industry’s smallest and highest performance embedded 32-bit CPUs. Together, these flexible, scalable cores are designed to revolutionize IoT applications by delivering the only truly embedded Connected Processor IP Platform. With hardware virtualization and multi-context security across the MIPS Warrior range of CPUs, the cores are designed to deliver to the emerging requirements of modern systems and add even more benefits. Customers can also leverage Imagination’s FlowCloud device-to-cloud platform to create complete IoT/cloud solutions.
Imagination will start to roll out a line of Ensigma Whisper cores in Q4 2014.